- In Norse mythology, Jörmungandr also known as the Midgard Serpent, or World Serpent, is a sea serpent, the middle child of the giantess Angrboða and the god Loki.
- According to the Prose Edda, Odin took Loki’s three children by Angrboða, and tossed Jörmungandr into the great ocean that encircles Midgard.
- Eventually the serpent grew so large that he was able to surround the earth and grasp his own tail.As a result, he received the name of the Midgard Serpent or World Serpent. It is said that when he lets go, the world will end.
- Jörmungandr’s arch-enemy is the god Thor.
- Some images depict this beast to resemble the frilled dragon, while other are more serpent like and could relate to water snake species
I do not own these images or this information